Advancing Philippine Competitiveness (COMPETE)
The PFG, a USAID program, is a partnership program of the Government of the Republic of the Philippines and the United States Government. It aims to address the binding constraints to economic growth and development in the Philippines.
DTI, as part of the Steering Committee, handles three major programs under the Technical Regulatory Quality component of the PFG, one of which is Advancing Philippine Competitiveness (COMPETE).
COMPETE (2013-2017) is a PhP 997.5-million project that supports higher economic growth through interventions in infrastructure, power, tourism, agribusiness, manufacturing, and domestic credit. Specifically, it aims to improve quality of crucial infrastructure, particularly for transport and energy; enhance competitiveness of key industries, such as tourism and agri-business; and improve access to credit through direct and indirect programs in the capital markets.
ACCOMPLISHMENTS AS OF 2016:
- Provided support to passage/formulation of the following laws/policy issuances:
- RA 10378 exempting foreign airlines from Common Carriers Tax
- RA 10611 Food Safety Act Implementing Rules and Regulations
- RA 10668 Foreign Ship Co-Loading Act + IRR
- RA 10752 ROWA Law amendment
- DOE Circular No. 2015-06-0008 mandating all distribution utilities (DUs) to undertake a Competitive Selection Process in securing power supply agreements
- EO 182 institutionalizing the Comprehensive Automotive Resurgence Strategy (CARS) Program + IRR
- BID Memorandum Circular No. 2014-016 granting of visa upon arrival to visa-required nationals who are tourists-passengers on board cruise ships/vessels calling on Philippine ports
- Facilitated private and public investment for tourism road infrastructure and tourism water infrastructure amounting to US$1.6B
- Facilitated private investments to supply aggregation of distribution utilities (Regions 1, 2, and CAR) amounting to US$3.3B
- Provided technical support to preparation of feasibility studies and tender documents for key private-public partnership (PPP) projects (i.e. Laguna Lakeshore Expressway Dike, Bohol Water/Sanitation)
- Provided a Loan Portfolio Guarantee for SMEs in the agribusiness, tourism, manufacturing, health, and construction amounting to US$42M
- Provided support to the formulation of the National Logistics Master Plan
- Provided support to the crafting of DOT’s National Tourism Development Plan
- Provided support to DOT in crafting the ASEAN Tourism Strategic Plan for 2016-2022
- Provided technical assistance to the development of the DSWD-DTI-DPWH-DOT One-Step Convergence Program
- Assisted in the enhancement of 9 industry roadmaps (iron and steel, copper and copper products, electronics, auto parts, chemicals, plastics, mass housing, petrochemicals, and furniture)
- Assisted in the enhancement of 5 food manufacturing industry roadmaps (cacao and chocolate products, carrageenan, condiments and sauces, processed mangoes, and marine/shrimps)
- Provided support to Philippine signing of ASEAN Multilateral Agreement on Air Services (MAAS) Protocols 5 and 6 that allow designated carriers of ASEAN countries to operate unlimited flights between capital cities.
- Continuing support to formulation of the following policy issuances:
- Senate Bill No. 2866 amending the CAAP Law or RA 9478 in
- Senate Bills on Philippine Immigration Act
- EO on Chassis-RORO amending EO 170 RORO Policy
- EO on Industry Development Council (IDC)